It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: [F1] 2010 Season
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:13 pm 
HRC Crew

Quote:
F1 set to adopt new points system

By Matt Beer Thursday, December 10th 2009, 18:52 GMT

Formula 1 is set for a radical alteration to its points system in 2010 if the World Motor Sport Council approves an F1 Commission proposal to give points to the top 10 finishers in each race.

In today's Commission meeting, chaired by Bernie Ecclestone and attended by FIA president Jean Todt, a new scoring system was put forward which will award 25 points to each race winner, 20 for second place, 15 for third and 10 for fourth, before descending 8-6-5-3-2-1 for fifth through 10th positions.

The change has been proposed to take into account the increased field for 2010, when the addition of the new entrants will take the grid up to 26 cars, its highest figure since 1995.

Assuming it is approved by the WMSC, the change would be the first revision to the points system since the number of scoring drivers per race was increased from six to eight in 2003.

The F1 Commission also agreed that its Sporting Working Group sub-committee should develop "detailed proposals to improve the show" that would take effect next year, and that "the FIA and FOM will further collaborate to enhance the communication and promotion of the championship to the media and its worldwide fanbase."

Source: Autosport

Wow, this is more like it. Last year it was insanity with the medals, this is more normal. I like the idea but maybe its a bit too much points for the podium finishers. A guy could go on to win the championship after a couple of wins early on. But I guess he could just as easily lose it, like Button who for example hadn't won since Turkey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:42 pm 
HRC Crew

There's by the way a major flow in the new inconsistent points system. Check out the 8-6-5-3 thing, it goes from two points difference to one and then back to two. Couldn't they have picked something that gradually goes up or down.

Here's USF1's reply to Bernie's statement of them not making it onto the grid. Still fun to see that, although its high tech, they got a very American way of working.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVYZDsc6XWo[/youtube]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:03 pm 
HRC Crew

Schumacher drove with a black helmet today. Looks good, he should throw away the red one and use this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:45 pm 
HRC Crew

Shame Schumacher has switched back to his red helmet. It totally looks out of place on the grey car.

Quote:
YouTube to swap USF1 for Campos?

Beleaguered F1 newcomer USF1 suffers another blow, as doubt continues over make-up of 2010 F1 grid.
Rumours are rife that high-profile USF1 partner YouTube may be poised to swap its allegiance as the speculation surrounding the American team deepens.

Little has been heard from the Charlotte-based operation since it confirmed that Argentine touring car driver Jose Maria Lopez would be its first signing, and whispers insist that it is unlikely to make the grid in Bahrain next month, let alone see out the entire 2010 season. Further credence has been given to the rumour with reports that the team's head of business development, Brian Bonner, has quit his role and could be followed out of the door by YouTube founder and CEO Chad Hurley.

While Bonner has accepted a new post with B4 Marketing, YallaF1 suggests that Hurley has begun to investigate the possibility of swapping his support to either the equally troubled Campos Meta team or ambitious benchwarmer Stefan GP, which is angling after a place on the grid whether or not the other newcomers make it to Bahrain. USF1's Charlotte base has also been put up for sale by its leaseholder, although that is not thought to be any reflection on the security of its tenants, which also include NASCAR teams Robby Gordon Racing and BAM Racing.

Campos, meanwhile, is hoping to be able to name the white knight that is believed to have secured its immediate future, with Germany's Auto Motor und Sport quoting an insider who expects to hear good news 'within 24 hours'.

The possibility of that investor being Hurley appears to have gathered momentum as rapidly as suggestions that A1GP Tony Teixeira would become involved have cooled. Meanwhile, internet rumours that both Volkswagen and former Midland/Spyker/Force India head man Colin Kolles could be on their way to the Spanish team have been denied by those involved. Former BAR and Red Bull tech chief Geoff Willis has yet to play down suggestions that he is play a part in either Campos Meta or Dallara's future F1 plans after being spotted at last week's Jerez test. Campos is reported to have had trouble meeting payment deadlines with both its Italian chassis partner and engine supplier Cosworth.

Despite the rumours, however, Adrian Valles continues to be tipped to partner Lopez at USF1, and the Argentine says he would welcome the Spaniard as a team-mate.

“I think, more than experience, it is more important to have the right attitude and desire to develop and help the team,” he was quoted by YallaF1, “Logically, it is very useful for an inexperienced team in F1 to have an experienced driver, but so too is it (useful) to have young drivers who are willing to give everything.”

Stefan GP, meanwhile, waits in the wings, hoping to get the call to replace either of the ailing newcomers, and this week called for the F1 entry to be expanded to 14 teams to allow it to take its place on the grid regardless of developments at Campos Meta and USF1.

Source: Crash.net

With the FIA being the FIA I would suspect that USF1 won't make it and that they won't give Stefan GP an entry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:51 am 
HRC Crew

You gotta love journalism. Its funny that the articles on GP Update and Autosport actually use the same quotes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:30 pm 
HRC Crew

I already feel like I totally messed up with my manager picks. I should have gone for Force India. :D

But its still early and its not yet possible to tell who´s fast and who´s not. Congratulations to the new teams, they all made it onto the track. But now the hard work really begins, bridging the gap to the regular teams will be a tremendous task.

Any opinions about the new part of the track? I like it. Its real stop and go, little run off and some elevation changes. Its like they added a little bit of Monaco to the desert. Teams will certainly have to find a compromise between the fast sweeping corners of the old track and the twisty slow corners of the new part. Expect some complaining of the drivers.

I do wonder if Kubica and Sutil will be able to hold on to their pace in FP2 and the rest of the weekend. And I hope that Sauber will go a bit faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:47 pm 
HRC Crew

Am I the only one who's really getting irritated by the TV graphics. I already noticed it yesterday but during qualifying it got really bad. There's a total lack of standings on the left of the screen and on the bottom bar. When they left for commercials at the end of Q2 I had no idea what the top 10 was. And after it was all set and done I still had no idea who was where. Only till all the cars finished their cool down laps they showed the complete standings. Also its dumb to show who is in 18th till 24th when we are already in Q2. And now that I think about it, I only found out it was Jaime who was knocked out of Q1 till they showed it just before going to commercials. It was fairly exciting with Kobayashi driving out of it and Jaime getting put into it. But both the on screen graphics and the TV director missed it. There were some other bad calls with them showing people who were clearly not gonna improve instead of putting the action on screen.

Without decent TV graphics F1 is nothing more then cars driving around in circles, especially in qualifying. And they did a great job last year so why all of a sudden its so bad. I do hope they fix this before Melbourne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:57 pm 
HRC Crew

Exciting begin of the season. Its gonna be real fun to watch the fight at Ferrari between Alonso and Massa. Also I expect others like Mercedes GP and McLaren to gain some pace. Hopefully Vettel's problem was not related to the Renault engine.

Already looking forward to Albert Park!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:16 pm 
HRC Crew

Yeah! Finally Alonso won a race again :lol:.

Nice race to see. Lotus and Virgin seem to be around the same pace, they had some nice fights. Overall I think it was a nice race. The no fuel rule seems to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:20 pm 
HRC Crew

Really don't get what the fuss is all about. Articles on big news sites are stating an outcry of fans on the internet, complaining how boring it was. Maybe they did watch a different GP. I would say it was the most exciting GP in Bahrain we've ever had.

Sure there was little overtaking. But this is F1, what do you expect. Its been like this for forever. When Webber did not get past Button immediately I knew he would be stuck there the rest of the race. He can be as angry as he wants about it, but that's F1. Now FOTA is wanting an extra obligatory pitstop. So that they can use tactics to pass people in the pit. Isn't that the main reason why we banned refueling.

If you want to create exciting racing then just look back at last year. We had KERS, which was an expensive push to pass button. Why not put a simple system on there and give them like five attempts every 10 minutes. KERS made for some great racing in 2009. Also what was real fun last year was the difference in compounds between the hard and the soft tyres. It almost gave us a late pass for the win in Australia, if Kubica and Vettel would not have collided. Then the drivers complained and they made the compounds the same. Another point of interest is the diffuser, but luckily they will already remove that next year.

Why I found the race exciting. The top three drove at a similar pace. Not any of them were really faster than their competitors. Two equal Ferrari's is kinda unique. And great to see that Vettel can match them and go even faster. Also Hamilton wasn't far off and Mercedes was not far behind him. Just a couple of years ago you would have massive gaps after just a couple of laps. Now Rosberg only was 40 seconds behind on this immense track. I thought it was exciting for F1 standards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:50 am 
HRC Crew

How is that for a Grand Prix. Its everything you ever wanted and that on the Shanghai track. :shock:

Great action in the pits between the Ferrari´s and between Hamilton and Vettel on track. Or what about Schumacher, who keeps making the right choices but who hasn´t got the pace. I´m still hoping Rosberg can take his first win, that would be really special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:02 am 
HRC Crew

That was an awesome race. So far only exciting races in 2010, what a season. Great for Button, everyone called him crazy when he left to McLaren. But at Brawn he would not have been able to pull this off. An all Mercedes podium, that´s really special.

Bring on the European season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:24 pm 
HRC Crew

Mercedes has moved the engine airbox inlets further back on its updated Mercedes, making the roll hoop rather small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:40 pm 
HRC Crew

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Schumacher more in front now. Would be nice if Mercedes can really fight for the victories from now on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:21 pm 
HRC Crew

I think it will be interesting to see how Rosberg will go. Till now its been Rosberg who has been doing good and Schumacher who's been doing average. Okay, lets not forget Michael's spin in Melbourne or the engine trouble in Sepang. But besides that the pace also wasn't there. Experts said it was because the understeery nature of the car suited Rosberg. So I wonder what they did with the new car. It would be funny if all of a sudden Schumacher finds pace while Nico starts dropping back. Anyway, here's another picture and its much more radical then I first thought it would be.